District man pleads guilty to murder of 11-year-old boy on July 4, 2020 | USAO-DC

WASHINGTON – Carlo General 21, of Washington, DC, pleaded guilty today to a charge of intentional homicide while armed in the July 4, 2020 shooting death of an 11-year-old boy in the South -eastern Washington, announced U.S. Attorney Matthew M. Graves and Robert J. Contee III, chief of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

The general entered the guilty plea in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. In line with the court’s guidelines for voluntary sentencing, the general’s plea calls for an agreed sentence of 13 to 16 years in prison. The plea is subject to court approval. The Honorable Rainey R. Brandt has scheduled a sentencing hearing for June 3, 2022.

Three co-defendants – Daryle Bond, 20, Marcel Gordon, 26 and Christen Wingfield, 24 – pleaded guilty earlier this month to the same charge. They are also expected to be sentenced on June 3, 2022. Bond’s plea calls for an agreed sentence of 7½ to 9½ years in prison, Gordon’s appeals 10 years and Wingfield’s appeals 9½ years. prison sentence.

According to government evidence, on July 4, 2020, at approximately 9:15 p.m., the General, Bond, Gordon and Wingfield were gathering around a barbecue near the cul-de-sac in front of a building in the 1400 block of Cedar Street SE . Cedar Street is a long road that ends in a cul-de-sac. The entrance to the 1400 block of Cedar Street diagonally intersects a street known as the “alley”.

Near the entrance to the 1400 block of Cedar Street, Davon McNeal – 11 – was getting out of a vehicle and walking towards a basement apartment at the Frederick Douglass Garden Apartment Complex. At some point, the general, armed with a laser-aiming gun, ran toward the entrance to the 1400 block of Cedar Street and fired his gun toward the alley. Surveillance footage shows Davon running towards the basement apartment and falling after the general fired his gun.

About six seconds later, Gordon, while running behind the general, fired his gun in the same direction. Bond, also armed with a gun, ran towards the 1400 block entrance on a sidewalk at the side of the building, with Wingfield, who was also armed with a gun and running down the road.

The four defendants gathered in front of the building and looked down the driveway. The group then ran towards a playground with guns drawn. Bond, the General, and Gordon all fired their guns as they fled.

An autopsy concluded that Davon’s death was caused by a gunshot wound to the head.

The General was arrested on July 30, 2020. Bond was arrested on July 10, 2020. Wingfield was arrested on July 11, 2020. Gordon was arrested on September 1, 2020. All have been in custody since their arrest.

In announcing today’s plea, U.S. Attorney Graves and Chief Contee praised the work of those who investigated the case from the Criminal Investigations Division of the Metropolitan Police Department’s Homicide Division. They acknowledged the efforts of those who worked on the U.S. Attorney’s Office case, including paralegal specialist Lashone Samuels, former victim/witness specialist Marcia Rinker, victim/witness specialist Latrice Washington-Williams and the investigative analyst Zachary McMenamin.

Finally, they commended the efforts of Assistant US Attorneys Shehzad Akhtar, Stephen Rickard and Jack Korba, who investigated and prosecuted the case, and former Assistant US Attorney Maryam Adeyola, who provided invaluable assistance.

Source link

Edward L. Robinett