Ewing-Meeks and Brown family visited deputies before murder-suicide: Sheriff

Parents found dead with their children in an apparent murder-suicide on Monday made a series of encrypted communications with local MPs just hours before the tragedy.

“Do you have people working here today?” » Aschod Ewing-Meeks26 – the suspected killer – said in surveillance footage from the lobby of the Davie County Sheriff’s Office in North Carolina, authorities said in a WGHP report.

It was around 12:11 p.m. Monday. Friend Ashton Brown26 year old stood holding her 8 month old baby Brixx Meeks-Ewing. four year old girl Bella Meeks Ewing placed something on a chair, standing roughly between his parents.

About two hours later, at around 2:17 p.m., firefighters said they found the family shot dead at their home after a passerby reported seeing smoke coming from the residence. Deputies said first responders found Ewing-Meeks dead with a gun drawn.

Authorities say they believe he shot and killed Ashton, Brixx and Bella, then set the house on fire before killing himself.

“It definitely had an impact on the community, on the neighborhood,” the Davie County Sheriff said. JD Hartmann said at a press conference Wednesday, according to WCBD. “It’s not an area where we have a lot of calls or problems. The neighbors said they were good neighbors.

Hartmann reportedly said the family was vague about why they wanted to speak to a deputy during this Monday visit. During the visit, Ewing-Meeks reportedly asked to obtain a concealed carry permit.

Brown called authorities minutes later Monday at 12:35 p.m., asking to speak to a deputy in what WFMY described as a non-emergency call.

A deputy called her back at 12:46 p.m. According to officials, Brown said she was calling her boyfriend. She gave him the phone, but the call only lasted 30 seconds. It was unclear if this was from a hung up or dropped call. The deputy called back. This second call lasted 55 seconds. The deputy made a third and fourth call, lasting two minutes and over six minutes respectively. Meeks reportedly said he thought someone was following him. He was the only person to speak to the deputy after the initial call, Hartman said.

The deputy called at 1:06 p.m. and 1:07 p.m., but both went to voicemail. Authorities were unable to recontact the couple after that, they said.

Around 2 p.m., a witness claimed to have seen Ewing-Meeks and Brown arguing outside the couple’s home, but they went inside, authorities said. A few minutes later, another witness claimed to have seen smoke coming from the house.

First responders said they found the mother and son in the kitchen, with the daughter in a bedroom doorway. Ewing-Meeks, gun in hand, was at the end of the hallway leading to the kitchen, authorities said.

Locals teamed up to help Brown’s family, with fundraising efforts including t-shirt sales and a barbecue.

“As a community, we have all put ourselves in this situation,” said Nicole Lewis, who said he didn’t know Brown but hosted a fundraiser at the Cooleemee Fire Department on Saturday, according to WGHP. “What if it was us?” What if it was our family or one of our relatives?

[Screenshot via WGHP]

Do you have a tip we should know? [email protected]

Source link

Edward L. Robinett