Here are the latest morning headlines from Leeds United on Tuesday, March 29.
Akinfenwa’s Phillips claim
Adebayo Akinfenwa has called Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips a “player” but believes he needs to start next season to return to the England squad. Phillips missed the final four months of the campaign with a hamstring injury and as a result was left out of the recent squad for the March internationals.
Phillips had been a fixture in Gareth Southgate’s first-choice XI in 2021, starting every EURO game and being voted the Three Lions’ Player of the Year. speaking on sky sportsAkinfenwa believes that as long as the 26-year-old can stay fit between now and the World Cup, he should be on the plane to Qatar.
He said, “I think he’s a baller. I can only exclude players who have played. I know there will still be a bit of next season. But, if we leave now, then Phillips is not playing. That’s all I’m saying. But that is no longer the case now. But he’s a baller and he’s coming back next season, so that’s a different conversation.
READ MORE:English midfielder rivals of Leeds United star Kalvin Phillips ahead of 2022 World Cup campaign
Raphinha’s interest confirmed
Barcelona president Joan Laporta has all but confirmed the club’s interest in Leeds United winger Raphinha after checking his name in an interview with RAC1. The Catalan side have been heavily linked with a summer move for Raphinha in recent days, with some reports suggesting personal terms between the two sides are already close to being agreed.
Barcelona will likely have to pay around £62m for the Brazilian if Leeds stay in the Premier League and in an interview last night Laporta confirmed they like Raphinha and his agent Deco is a key part of the club.
He said: “Raphinha, on the other hand, is a great player. We have good reports about him. Deco has his job and informs us of the details so that we don’t make mistakes. And in some cases he told us helped a lot.”
Learn more here.
James Garner continues to be linked with a summer move to Leeds United after impressing for Nottingham Forest in the Championship this season. Los Blancos aren’t the only team the Manchester United loanee has been linked with as a few other teams from the lower end of the Premier League table are said to be watching him closely.
He has been excellent for Steve Cooper’s side this season and played a key role in their rise to the play-off places as well as their route to the FA Cup quarter-finals. Although, with first-team opportunities at Old Trafford looking limited, he will likely seek another departure which could be permanent rather than temporary.
Click here to read our profile on the 21-year-old.