Yard Fire quickly becomes Inferno and engulfs 4 houses
A suspected barbecue or garden fire lit on the hottest day on record in the UK spread before engulfing and destroying nearby homes.
Four homes were destroyed on Tuesday after the blaze spread quickly and engulfed properties on Woodland Drive in Barnsley, England, within minutes.
Another house nearby was badly damaged while gardens were damaged by hell.
The fire is believed to have started when children living in one of the prefabricated houses started a fire between the garden shed and the fence just after 3.30pm.
Heroic neighbors fought the flames with a hose and rescued residents as they waited for firefighters to arrive as crews were tied up elsewhere.
CCTV footage shows smoke billowing from the scene before the flames quickly set in and the inferno spread.
A man can be seen in a house trying to fight the flames with a hose or a bucket.
Later, a woman from the house can be seen frantically pacing the street as she appears to be crying out for help.
Dramatically, the fire spreads and the camera cuts out as the UPVC sunroom frame the camera sits on melts in the intense heat.
Carl Fox, whose CCTV captured the start of the fire, said he was “five or 10 minutes away” from losing his home.
Fox, who was at work at the time, said her home was saved because heroic neighbors removed a fence panel to gain access to her yard to quell the blaze.
“The first thing I knew about it was when neighbors rang my video doorbell,” he said.
Tom Maddick, SWNS/Zenger
“I rushed home after work and some neighbors had lifted a fence panel to get them out of the houses and started putting a garden hose on the fire.
“It stopped it from spreading and saved our house as it left a 6ft gap between the wooden fence panels it had grabbed.
“Fortunately, we opted for concrete posts when we had the fence panels installed.”
Fox’s yard was gutted by fire but his house was spared. Assessing the damage on Wednesday morning, he added: ‘We were five or 10 minutes away from losing our house.
Close neighbor Andrew Love, 56, was one of the first residents on the scene to try to help.
“I was washing the wheels of my car and saw smoke and thought someone had lit a barbecue,” he said.
“I looked up and could see the flames coming through the privet.
“I called the fire department and they were busy battling other fires.
“As far as I know, everyone did well.”
The South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service has declared a major incident as it tries to deal with a number of blazes in the region as Britain bakes in 40 degree Celsius heat (104 degrees Fahrenheit).
The service tweeted this morning to remind people not to start a fire in their yard.
It read: “So it’s a little cooler, but still incredibly dry out there. Please help us: don’t have a bonfire in the garden. Don’t. Leave the barbecues at the house. Anonymously report anyone starting fires.”
Produced in association with SWNS.
This story was provided to Newsweek by Zenger News.